Born in Heraklion, Crete (1964)|
Professor of General Linguistics in the Department of Philology, Faculty of Letters at the University of Crete (previously, from Nov. 1994 to Apr. 2016, Academic Associate, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor).
Visiting Professor at the Freie Universität Berlin (2010-2011 academic year and Winter semestrer 2015-2016). Postgraduate distance lecturing at the same university, in the same capacity (Winter semester 2012-2013).
Visiting Professor at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (Paris, Summer semester 2012-2013).
Awarded the Municipality of Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Prize for the Humanities, 2011.
Academic / Research interests:
Pragmatics, Biolinguistics, Literary Theory, History of Ideas on Language, Greek Enlightenment.
University of Athens
Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (Paris)
Doctoral dissertation title:
Pour une sémantique discursive des phénomènes scalaires (E.H.E.S.S.)
Elected positions at the University of Crete:
- Head of the Linguistics Lab., Department of Philology (1998–2001)
- Full member of the University Senate, as representative of teaching and research staff in the Department of Philology (1998-1999, 2004-2005)
- Full member of the University Technical Council (three terms: 1999–2004, 2007-2010)
- Director of Postgraduate Studies, Department of Philology (2004-2007)
- Dean of the Faculty of Letters (2006-2010)
- Member of the University Research Committee (plenary and seven-member committee, 2011-2012)
- Member of the University Council (2013-present)
- Board Member, A. & M. Kalokerinos Foundation (since 1993)
- Regular Board Member, Society of Cretan Historical Studies (since 1994)
- Director, Historical Museum of Crete (1994-2009)
- Executive Member of the Governing Board, A. & M. Kalokerinos Foundation (since1995)
- Secretary, Society of Cretan Historical Studies (1996-2009)
- Regular Board Member, Therapy Centre for Dependent Individuals (elected by the National General Assembly for three terms: 2004-2009)
- Associate Member, Museums Council, Greek Ministry of Education and Culture (since 2007)
- Founding Member (2004) and Board Member (2009-2011), Higher Education Watch
- President, Society of Cretan Historical Studies (since 2009)
- Editor, Cretica Chronika academic journal (since 2011)
[Unpaid service offered in all cases in this section]
Selected recent publications:
- (forthcoming, ed. with Ianthi Tsimpli) Language and Evolution. Biolinguistic Perspectives (Heraklion: Crete University Press) [in Greek]
- (forthcoming) “Biolinguistics vis-a-vis meaning. Aspects of Naturalism”, in: A. Kalokerinos and I. Tsimpli (ed.) [in Greek]
- (2015) “Revisiting the names. Korais’ political Cratylism”, Revue des Etudes Sud-Εst Européennes, τ. LIII, 327-371
- (2015, ed. with Stephanos Kaklamanis and Dimitris Polychronakis). Discourse and Time in Modern Greek Letters (18th-19th century). Proceedings of the conference in honour of Alexis Politis (Rethymnon, 12-14 April 2013) (Heraklion: University of Crete Press), [in Greek]
- (2015) “Korais on '1800 articulation’”. In: S. Kaklamanis, A. Kalokerinos & D. Polychronakis (ed.), [in Greek] 297-353
- (2014) “Language and Rhetoric on the road to publicity: 17th and 18th century” in: L. Athanassaki, A. Nicolaïdis & D. Spatharas (ed.) Private Life and Public Discourse in Greek Antiquity and the Enlightenment (Heraklion: University of Crete Press & University of Crete School of Philosophy Publications), [in Greek] 381-499 & 528-535
- (2013) “Notes on The Bandaged Shoulder” To Dentro no. 193-194, (Re-reading Cavafy) [in Greek], 56-60
- (2011) “Cognitive foundations for poetic competence”, in G. Xydopoulos et. al. (ed.) 12 Texts on Linguistics (Athens: Kondyli), [in Greek] 79-93
- (2011) “Language and Ideology: historico-theoretical prerequisites for a discussion”. [in Greek] Studies on the Greek Language. Proceedings of the 31st Annual Meeting of the Linguistics Section in the School of Philosophy, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (keynote speech• Thessaloniki: Modern Greek Studies Institute), 15-51
- (2011) “Beyond Language”, in: M.V. Karra (ed.) Polyglossia (Athens: Onassis Cultural Centre), 16-21
- (2010) Linguistics and Poetics (Athens: Nisos Press, revised second edition), [in Greek] 492pp.
- (2010, ed.) Humanities, Faculties of Letters (Rethymnon: University of Crete School of Philosophy Publications), [in Greek] 207pp.
- (2010) “In place of an introduction: 'Humanities, Faculties of Letters'. Discussion parameters” & “Appendix: Taxonomies and Quantitative Data”, [in Greek] in: A. Kalokerinos (ed.), 11-22 & 195-207
- (2009) “Wretched, Institutions, Political Failure and Social Guilt”, in: S. Economides – V. Monastiriotis (ed.), The return of street politics? Essays on the December riots in Greece (London: LSE), 21-26
- (2008) “From organic language to the language organ”, [in Greek] in: K. Potagas & I. Evdokimides (ed.), Discussions on Discourse at the Aeginitio Hospital (Athens: Synapses), 15-34
- (2008) “The Faculty of Letters in Greek universities: State of affairs and prospects”, [in Greek] in: D. Moustaklidou (ed), The Future of the Humanities in Greece, (Thessaloniki), 205-217
- (2007) “Density and the unit. Readings of Tasos Christides”, [in Greek] Studies on the Greek Language. Proceedings of the 27th Annual Meeting of the Linguistics Section in the School of Philosophy, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. A. Ph. Christides – In Memoriam (Thessaloniki: Modern Greek Studies Institute), 149-158
- (2005, in collaboration with Bruce Fraser) “Implicative discourse markers. A comparative inquiry into English and Greek”, Γλωσσολογία/Glossologia 16 (2004-5), 97-128
- (2005, in collaboration with Eleni Karantzola) “Discourse markers of opposition in Early Modern Greek”. In E. Jeffreys & M. Jeffreys (eds.) Approaches to Texts in Early Modern Greek, Proceedings of the Neograeca Medii Aevi V (Oxford: University of Oxford), 179-196
- (2004) “The justifying connection, mostly in Greek”, Journal of Greek Linguistics 5 (2004), 27-80.
- (2004) Linguistics and Poetics (Athens: Nisos Press), [in Greek] 370 pp.
- (2004-2006, general editing, in collaboration with Theocharis Detorakis), Proceedings of the 9th Cretan Studies Congress (Heraklion: Society of Cretan Historical Studies), 10 volumes.
Updated: June 2016